Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Breaks My Heart


How many of you watched it last night? I realize news of it is everywhere this morning and it's what everyone is talking about, but I can't help but share my thoughts and feelings on it all as well. Especially considering I've kept my mouth shut this long!

I kind of figured it was coming but I think I was still hoping that they might surprise us and say they are going to counseling and will do whatever it takes to make their marriage work.

Literally, it breaks my heart. Johnny would say to me, "Amanda, it's just a TV show." And while I did fall in love with the Gosselin family because of their TV show, they are also real people and this is their life. It always has and it always will hurt my heart to see other people hurting whether I know them personally or not.

I don't know what truth there is to all the rumors and magazine articles, but it seems to me that if the allegations were wrong about Jon and this 23 year old school teacher, that he would've stopped seeing her to prove that there really is nothing going on rather than further the assumptions that there was an affair happening. I'm not taking sides because I don't know who's right and who's wrong and it doesn't really matter. What killed me with last night's episode was how Kate seemed so heartbroken and against the idea of separation, yet forced into it because it was "necessary", while Jon acted flippant and excited about being released into single hood again. It's like he's going through a mid-life crisis or something....earrings, the lady friends, the attitude, the motorcycle (nothing against motorcycles, we have one and I love it), the drinking....it's just so not the picture they painted in seasons past.

Not only am I sad for them, it makes me think about how fragile marriage is. After watching the show all I wanted to do was give Johnny a huge hug and kiss and tell him how much I love him. Because he is halfway across the world, I settled for an email! Jon and Kate at one time were madly in love too and I'm sure they didn't see this coming when they renewed their vows last season. It just reminds me to not take it for granted and that the commitment and vows Johnny and I made can't be taken lightly. Jon and Kate's divorce makes me want to work harder at my marriage so that I never have to go through what they are living right now.

I just read that this season has been postponed in light of their recent divorce filing. Good. At least someone finally figured out that it would probably be a good idea to shut off the cameras for a while. It's silly, but I'm praying for them. I can't imagine what these next few months are going to be like for them and those cute little kiddos.

Prediction: I betcha within the next 2 months, Jon and that girl come out publicly that they are dating and/or pregnant.

3 comments:

Sarah B. said...

So sad....so not surprised by the outcome but sooo sad. I too am glad that they are putting the TV show on hold. We will never know who did what and all that junk that is none of our business anyway HOWEVER, my personal opinion only, I am more disgusted with Kate. She came to our church to speak during her book tour (I did not attend) but know that she was a pain in the rear and not very cooperative. And as she was leaving (my husband works at the church) she made some rude comments on her way out the door. But what bugs me most is that she keeps saying how she was doing all of the touring and book signing for her children, to provide for her children. She knows darn well that what children need most is their parents presence...so I don't feel that she is doing it for the children. Maybe for her security of their future but it is all for her. And I feel sad for the children, they will get hurt the most out of this. If she was really listening to God she would know not to worry about the money and other "stuff". Ok, I decided not to blog about it but I guess I had some "stuff" to say...lol. I just hope all the blame doesn't get put on one person alone, they are both at fault, no doubt.

Amanda said...

You are exactly right Sarah! I've got lots of issues and thoughts on Kate too...how fame-driven and greedy she seems since the massive success of the show. They are both definitely to blame, and no one is perfect. That is interesting to hear how she acted at y'alls church though. I'm sure they both would do things differently now looking back on how everything transpired.

Stacy said...

It is very sad. While she is certainly no peach, I do think she does the best she can and means well--I just don't always agree with the way she handles the execution. Jon on the otherhand is being very selfish. She seemed visibily upset and worried--I just don't think she could fake that--while he is kicked back on the sofa with his new earrings talking about how he is excited about the new chapter. I hope I am wrong, but I have a feeling we won't be seeing much of him around the house from this point on--unless they really do start including his 23-year-old girlfriend on the shows when they start back up, which is the latest rumor. What a mess!